2017-09-04 Mon

How to Torpedo Support for Climate Change

Christopher Greaves Home_IMG_20170831_083016375.jpg

If you live in San Mateo California you can get a letter published in The Toronto Star (rough translation: If you work on the Toronto Star you can be impressed that someone in California writes to you about a Freak Event in Texas).

Note that this storm is “unheard of” for which read “I, personally, speaking on my own behalf, have never heard of this before”. Also known as “First Time Recorded in the Past Hundred Years”.

Without a doubt there were heavier rains when the earth was being formed, rains of Sulphuric Acid, to boot, not rains of Distilled Water. And for sure over the past 15,000 years that must have been storms bigger than this, but because ***I*** haven’t heard about it, therefore this storm is a signal of a trend.

Note too that “no Drainage System could cope with that” for which read “no Engineer thought to make the drainage system cope with the biggest storm anticipated over a five-hundred year span”. Of course not. No engineer would design such a system. You design something with a balance of costs. It will cost so many dollars to build something that’s good enough to cope with (say) 95% of the highest anticipated load, and you pay the costs associated with failure of the remaining 5%.

This is how Transit Systems work. It’s how Air-Conditioning Systems are designed. It’s even how computers and their data-processing programs are designed. Which is why, from time to time you will read about so-and-so’s system went down.

Of course, the cause will be examined. If the cause is a once-in-five-hundred-years event which was specifically excluded from the design, then shrug, pay the damages, and reboot the system.

If the cause can be seen to be potentially regular and we just hadn’t thought of it, then modify the program to make it stronger, and reboot the system.

Be honest now: You do not stockpile enough food to see you to the end of your life; you keep just enough food on hand to let you get through the next seven days.

Sport or Entertainment?

Christopher Greaves Home_IMG_20170831_083423427.jpg

You know that it isn’t Sport when a Sponsor pays $800,000,000 for Naming Rights to a Stadium.

Or to put it another way, when the “sporting outfit” needs $800,000,000 that it can’t raise through ticket sales.

You can watch baseball for free right across Toronto during the summer months at any local baseball diamond. Good stuff, too.