You don’t need to know Toronto very well to get the gist of this.
Toronto has regional commuter lines that snake through the city headed for the downtown core. Toronto\s regional transit system is very bad; commuter trains come in fully-loaded in the mornings and run out again fully-loaded in the late afternoon, but apart from that you have to take a bus and add an hour to your trip. Assuming that the bus service actually runs to the town that is served by train. (Try doing a day’s business in nearby Milton, for example)
So here we have one of the lines that snakes out of Toronto’s Union Station and heads a little bit west, but mainly north, to serve stations on the way to Barrie.
Cops were there for about two hours (6:40 to 9:00) before the man was shot.
I wasn’t there so I don’t know what happened, excepting that the cops were there for about two hours during peak hours for incoming commuter trains, and that the man was shot, and as a result of that he is dead. I read that a Taser gun was used, too.
I think it must be awkward to have a man (who is presumably enough of a threat that he has to be shot) on the commuter rail lines at peak period.
I think that for him to be shot (dead) he must have had some sort of lethal weapon. (If he was armed with a double-scoop chocolate-dipped what’s the problem officer?)
I think that over a two-hour period there must have been at least a dozen cops on the scene.
I think that at least two of them must have been female cops who might have been able to soft/sweet-talk the guy and calmed him down.
I think that at least six of them must have been gym-workout hunks who play football in their off-hours.
I think that six fit young men ought to be able to tackle a man who, if he is wandering the commuter tracks at 6:40, is mentally ill. (Me, I’m walking down to Ryerson University to get a free paper at 6:40). By tackle I mean (a) surround him at a distance (b) close in carefully (c) have ore-arranged signals about which of four of them will go for each hand and each foot (d) two left over to co-ordinate and get the handcuffs on him.
I think that Canadians are wusses and wimpy. Where is the rugged outdoor prairie cowboy who can lasso a street from horseback at twenty miles an hour through gullies, gulches and ...
OK. I think that Barnum And Bailey’s circus - another organization that harbours clowns – might be able to give a few pointers on the use of a flung net to handicap a wild animal. Or in this case a disturbed man.
I think that Toronto Police are an uncontrolled and uncontrollable not-very-inventive bunch of young men who have been tuned loose on our streets with handguns and a license to kill.
Me? I’d take down Ann Merriam, the school’s Artistic Director.
Me? I’d take down Tom Lazarou, the school’s Principal.
Me? I’d take down the school’s Form (Home-Room) Teachers who must have known about this.
Me? I’d especially take down all of the school’s students who took part in this.
(1) How is it that the Artistic Director isn’t aware of Copyright Laws, especially the fragments that appear on every VHS tape, DVD disc, and inside every book that says something like “if you want to use any part of this, you have to get permission from us, in writing”?
(2) How is it that the principal isn’t aware of copyright laws, especially the fragments that appear on every VHS tape, DVD disc, and inside every book that says something like “if you want to use any part of this, you have to get permission from us, in writing”?
(3) How is it that the children (for they are not adults) in this Smart-Phone/NetFlix aren’t aware of copyright laws? Really!
(4) Why am I disturbed by reading on page GT3 that “According to Merriam, production hits ...usually become available after two or three years after a show’s debut”
(5) Why am I disturbed by reading on page GT3 that “Wexford is usually charged between $2,000 and $4,000 (U.S.) ... for rights to perform ...”? That is, Wexford knows about charges for permission to perform
(6) How is it that Wexford’s Book-keeper or Accountant isn’t on top of payment evasion?
What kind of an education is being provided at Wexford?